Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's really the Key to the Whole Situation...

On Wednesday last week, I had to give Joe a ride to the office so that he could pick up his work truck. So off we went, kids and all.
After leaving Joe with his truck, I decided to make a quick stop off at Costco (notice I said quick). So I parked my car and unloaded all the kids into various carts/strollers and locked and closed the car door. At this point I would like to say that I always check to make sure I have my keys...well there's always an exception to the rule right? I was walking away from my car when I realized that I did not in fact have my keys. You would not believe the panic I started to feel as I dug in my purse frantically. I pushed the cart and kids back to the car (we had only gotten about 10 feet away from it), and dutifully checked all the doors for an unlocked one. Ok I thought, Breath, just get out your cell phone and call Joe...uh oh, no cell phones (I have two)...they were in the car with my keys. Ok, now I was really panicking, because I don't memorize any phone numbers, I keep them all in my cell phones. Plus, (to make it a real exciting trip) I also left the diaper bag in the car since this was going to be a "quick" trip. So I pushed everyone into the return side of Costco, and begged to use the phone. I called my mom in CA thinking surely she would be able to call my insurance for me. No answer...the only number I have memorized, and no one's home. So I begged again, and they used 411 to get the number to my insurance company. So I called and asked for roadside assistance. The told me it would take 60 minutes and that I could stay inside Costco until the time got close and then I should wait by my car. They were very considerate about the fact that I had kids, and they didn't want me to have to wait in the parking lot, hence the time. So I thought, why waste it? I did a quick run though Costco. After about 30-40 minutes I was standing in line to pay, when one of the Costco workers came up to me and told me that a Tow Truck was outside waiting near a green minivan. Mine is red, so I thought maybe not for me? But I hurried with the kids and the produce out the main doors and to my car, just in time to see the such said Tow Truck drive away. He didn't even drive near my car. Can I panic now? Please? Honestly, if I hadn't wanted my kids to see me cry, I would have lost it right there in the Costco parking lot. So I waited around 10 minutes at my car, then pushed kids, groceries and all back into Costco, and begged to use there phone once again. My insurance company told me I still had 10 more minutes to wait until help would arrive, so I told them that the help had come and gone without helping. They called the Tow Truck company and were told that the driver had sat and waited for 25 minutes and then had driven around for 25 minutes. Well, I don't know how good at math you are, but I wonder how the driver had spent 50 minutes total, when only 50 minutes had passed...In any case, my wonderful insurance company called a different tow company, and they arrived on time in only 15 minutes, and had my car unlocked and open in 5 more. Ahh,...peace at last, well except for the very cranky kids, the thawing groceries, and the 10mph traffic that took me home.

So there's only one think left for me to do...

Learn to pick locks.

3 comments:

The Phillips Place said...

oh becky! that is one of those days that you get home, get the kids settled with diaper changes, food, naps...whatever it takes...and then pour a glass of wine!!! or at least nibble some dark chocolate.

Grey Magistrate said...

I have to agree about learning how to pick locks...though you might leave the pick in the car too!

Check out this Amazon link to all the fine lockpicking guides out there -- bet at least one or two of these are at your local library.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lockpicking&x=0&y=0

Just Us said...

Poor thing! I agree with a glass of wine!!! And why not have the dark chocolate too!!!!